My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

a Reflection on "Service" (II)

---continuing

We might ask, how is this all related to serving God? Do I have to serve in order to find my happiness? Why don't we forget the topic about service at all. Let us just talk more on finding our happiness.

St. Augustine said,

45 Man is made to live in communion with God in whom he finds happiness: When I am completely united to you, there will be no more sorrow or trials; entirely full of you, my life will be complete (St. Augustine, Conf. 10, 28, 39: PL 32, 795}.

It is by living in communion with God that we can find happiness. It is when we are fully united to God, fully united, that we will surely find happiness. For God is Love, and in Love we find happiness, and this happiness is our desire in Life.

How do then we live in communion with God?

9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
John 15:9-11

This is what Jesus told us, to Live in communion in Him means to live in a communion of Love. But how do we enter into this communtion? How do we enter the union of Love of God. Jesus told us by "keeping His commandments". Most of us always have a negative impression on the words commandments, yet His commandment is simply to Love.

12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
John 15:12

36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
Mat 22:36-39

It is not a burden since in Love we find what we actually want, that is happiness, our desire. It is by Loving and by being Loved that we enter union with God, and by entering this union with God, we find our desire.

Next >>
---to be continued



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home