My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

a Reflection on "Service" (V) Closing

--continuing

This is what service is all about. It is about giving our Life fully to God. It's about sacrifice. Since there is no Love without sacrifice as there is no happiness without Love.

Service is not just a duty. It's not about what we have to do. It's about giving our Life fully. It's a realization of Love. For Love comes not in words but in deeds. It is not in flower but in blood.

To serve means to Love. Since we do not really Love if we do not serve. If Love is only to satisfy our selves, and if Love is only directed to our ego, then it is not Love. It is selfish. Love is true only when it goes outward, only when Love is being given. Love is true when we serve, for when we serve we give Love. It is not a service then, when we do not Love.

This is the reason why we serve: because we Love. Because we Love, then we simply want to give our Life fully. To serve is not to be a worship leader, to serve is not to play music, to serve is not to give teachings. To serve is to give our Life. Some give themself by being worship leaders, others by stacking up the chairs. But what is the same is that both give themselves fully.

It is in service that we learn to Love. It is in service we learn to sacrifice, which is the true Love. It is in service that we find our happiness.

9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
John 15:9-11

12 "And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
13 and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I command you this day for your good?
Deut 10:12-13

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "
John 13:34


45 Man is made to live in communion with God in whom he finds happiness: When I am completely united to you, there will be no more sorrow or trials; entirely full of you, my life will be complete (St. Augustine, Conf. 10, 28, 39: PL 32, 795}.


Psa 37:4 Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam
--For the Greater Glory of God--

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Oka, for the reflection. You have renewed my view of Service.

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home